TOP OFFICIAL FOR THE CARPENTERS UNION RETIRES AMID FEDERAL INVESTIGATION

TOP OFFICIAL FOR THE CARPENTERS UNION RETIRES AMID FEDERAL INVESTIGATION

RichardDorrough
TOP OFFICIAL FOR THE CARPENTERS UNION RETIRES AMID FEDERAL INVESTIGATION

By Matt Friedman

A top official of the powerful Carpenters union is no longer with the organization as it struggles with the corona virus and a federal investigation.

The online bio of Michael Capelli, the general secretary-treasurer of the the United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners of America, was removed from the United Brotherhood of Carpenters’ website late last week.

Reached by phone, Capelli said he retired, but declined to elaborate.

“It’s long-planned,” he said. “I’m going to go. I’m not going to talk about it. It’s nobody’s business but mine.”

There was no announcement on the Carpenters website about Capelli’s retirement.

The union recently laid off about 50 officials across seven states, spokesperson Frank Mahoney said.

“We’ve lost a lot of work hours for our members recently, and because of that and this unprecedented time, we’ve had to council-wide,” he said.

The union, whose political fund has put millions of dollars into New Jersey elections, has been buffeted by scandal over the last several years. In 2016, George R. Laufenberg was fired as administrator of the Northeast Carpenters Funds for “potential violations.” In September 2019, Laufenberg was indicted for allegedly embezzling $1.5 million from the union.

In 2018, the union dissolved the Northeast Regional Council of Carpenters, terminating John Ballantyne, an ally of New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy, as its leader. At the time, the firing was seen as a proxy war between allies of Murphy and South Jersey Democratic power broker George Norcross. The Carpenters have been one of the biggest backers of General Majority, a super PAC that has been funded through loans and donations of Norcross and his allies.

In a 2018 lawsuit, Ballantyne and two subordinates alleged they were fired for uncovering malfeasance that had the blessing of the union’s top leaders. The lawsuit alleged wrongdoing by Capelli, then the Eastern District vice president, and Frank Spencer, then the second general vice president of the union and now its general vice president.

Ballantyne and the union quietly settled the lawsuit a month after he filed it. But by 2019, a federal grand jury was empaneled in Newark to investigate the union. Last November, Douglas McCarron, the Carpenters general president, acknowledged in a memo to union leadership that the union and several groups tied to it had received a series of subpoenas.

Mahoney, the union spokesperson, said Capelli’s retirement has nothing to do with investigation. Rather, he said, it was so Capelli could “spend more time for family.”

HEY MIKEY "CHEAP SUITS" CAPELLI. DOES THIS MEAN YOUR WIFE,DAUGHTER AND ALL THE REST OF THE CAPELLI FAMILY MEMBERS SUCKING OFF THE UBC TIT WILL BE RETIRING AS WELL???

 I MEAN .HOW WILL YOU BE RETIRING TO "SPEND MORE TIME WITH YOUR FAMILY" IF THEY ARE STILL AT THE UBC .WONT THEY BE WORKING AND NOT AVAILABLE.MAYBE YOU DID NOT THINK THAT ONE THROUGH

Re: TOP OFFICIAL FOR THE CARPENTERS UNION RETIRES AMID FEDERAL INVESTIGATION

george
its time they investigate and remove mccarron too much control ineveryones money,he needs to be removed and sent down the river.
Ted

Re: TOP OFFICIAL FOR THE CARPENTERS UNION RETIRES AMID FEDERAL INVESTIGATION

Ted
Ya gotta love it.

Your on deck McCarron...do you remember when the ump said batter up ?

Collecting Three Pensions + a Fat Paycheck simultaneously is frowned upon in Civil or Criminal courts of law Doug